Check Your Head is seeking youth participants (ages 16-22) to join our ‘Inclusion and Anti-Racism’ project! Learn about issues of migrant justice and become a peer educator with Check Your Head.
This is an opportunity for racialized youth – including youth who identify as people of colour, mixed-race, migrant, Indigenous, First Nations, Metis, and Inuit – who have experienced issues of race in their own lives, family or community history. Through a series of workshops and hands-on activities, you will connect with peers to learn how to work together against racism.
As part of this project, you will:
- learn about discrimination and migrant justice issues in Canada
- participate in workshops on leadership, facilitation skills, goal-setting, and understanding anti-oppression
- share your learning by participating in a community action group project
- practice your skills by co-facilitating a migrant justice workshop
- be offered guidance from active community members
- be paid an honorarium after completion of the project
This project is a 8-month commitment from June – February 2016.
If you would like to participate, please fill out a statement of interest form: http://goo.gl/forms/lePO2odVt3
We also welcome expressions of interest by phone – you can call program coordinators Erica or Aleks at (604) 685-6631 or email admin [at] checkyourhead.org.
We will confirm participation and share follow-up information about the project between May 26-30, 2016 by phone or email.
Important dates for this project:
- May 17, 2016 – Deadline to apply
- June 19, 2016 – First training session
- June-August 2016 – Two sessions per month (mid + end of month), dates TBD
- September-December 2016 – One meeting per month, dates TBD
- February 2017 – Wrap up party, date TBD
For more information, please see our project outline or contact
Erica Isomura and Aleks Besan, Project Facilitators
admin [at] checkyourhead.org